Thursday 19 June 2014

Hunger Games Series (book) - My thoughts


Hello again,

I have been recommended this book series by a couple of good muggle friends and have never had the time to read them but fret not, by writing this, I can officially say that I've read them. I'll try not to include any spoilers (a muggle term for exposing plots from the book that might affect the I-don't-know-what's-next feeling of reading) but I can't promise anything.

The muggles are making the movies too. I've seen the first two and well, I won't talk about them. Although, the final part of the book series is being split into two movies following in the steps of a couple other book to screen adaptations and the first part of the movie is coming out soon. I'm not entirely sure if it's a good idea considering my feelings after finishing the series but who knows.

What is the series about? Well, it is basically set in a world that separates the rich and powerful literally into cities or zones or districts (to use the word in the books), with the poorest on the outer most zone. The rich and powerful have gotten so bored of their lives that they are finding the excitement in the sport of killing. That's where the hunger games (yes, the name of the series) comes in. It is supposedly a yearly event that takes two people from each districts and force them to fight each other to the death in an arena specifically built for that particular year. That's right, it is like the Romans and their gladiators. Rich people who do not care about the lives of the lowly scum, drunk with the power of controlling another person's life, and how a girl who fights against the odds, trying to survive in a world that is so skewed and ultimately try to change her fate and the fate of those who are close to her.

Okay, on with my thoughts. I have to say up front that I'm not very fond of the ending of the series just because well, I felt quite cheated from it but in hindsight, I suppose, it was meant to push the character into a particular situation and a particular decision which must have been quite difficult for the author to decide.

I was left with a feeling of what-did-I-just-read and had stared at the last page of the book series for a relatively long period of time. I guess, if an author has managed to evoke such emotions from a reader, doesn't matter if it was a good emotion or a bad emotion, it's a good thing. It shows that the author has some flair in writing and had successfully engaged the reader, making the reader feel for the characters, wanting more out of the world, perhaps causing the reader to invest a real part of themselves into the world.

I like the idea of that world, some of the concepts and customs. It is an intriguing world with themes touching upon real world situations like the rich and the poor, the people who have power and the people who don't. It really allows the reader to stop and think about such stuff, at least to me. It really reminded me of the days when the pure blood families would flaunt their purity, claiming ownership over those who aren't pure blooded. Although there are still people like that in the wizarding world, many have accepted and have started to broaden their minds a bit.

The ending of that series just felt flat and rushed. It might have been the intention of the author to disorient the reader and thus evoke a deeper thought process, in which I'll applaud for that, but it somehow feels like the author just ran out of time and wrote that ending.

I am happy to receive other thoughts and theories that you might have as I am pretty sure there are people who disagrees with me and may the odds ever be in your favor.

As always, leave me a comment and let me know what you think, or just say hi!

Farewell,
Lord Severus

No comments:

Post a Comment