Wednesday 28 August 2013

Pottermore, the muggle Hogwarts



I came across this muggle game the other day. It's called Pottermore. Apparently, the muggles have created some form of a virtual Hogwarts using the source that is written by that genius witch or a relative of a family in the magical community.

As they say, curiosity killed the cat but the cat was extremely satisfied so, I had to create an account there. Just to compare with the real Hogwarts, no harm done right?

Anyway, so I've registered for an account and selected an username (which I am not going to reveal) and there I was, at the beginning of the story. Privet Drive. I suppose, muggles love a good story and Harry's story is magical (even by magical standards).

The way the story is being told to the muggles is very similar to how we tell the kids at home, how we managed to defeat one of the biggest threats in our magical community, the second wizarding war. Some have feedback to that it's one of the most interesting history lessons that Professor Cuthbert Binns could have taught. To be honest, I'm glad he finally has a story interesting enough for students to pay attention in class. Don't tell him I said that.

Anyway, I was following the story line and have gotten to the sorting ceremony. This certainly brings back memories of my sorting ceremony but I have to say, I was hesitant. Mainly because I didn't know if the muggle version of the sorting ceremony would be accurate. Turns out, the muggles uses a quiz to sort the individual. Quite interesting I must say and thankfully, I am being sorted into my own house. Cheers to Slytherin (We are not as evil as the rumors say).


It's interesting watching the muggles, what's that called, role play as students in Hogwarts and interact with other muggles. Role playing is something like pretending as a character, kind of like acting I suppose, only, these muggles act as students from Hogwarts and I have to say, the color scheme in the common room is quite similar to the actual common room. A great job to the designer of this muggle game.

There is also a great hall where students can interact with other students from the other houses, it also shows the progress of the current house cup. It seems that Slytherin still needs quite a bit to catch up to the rest. That's rather different from the real situation at Hogwarts, I can tell you that much.


But, it's rather assuring that we've won the cup the previous year (or however long the muggle house cup equivalent runs for). There is a potions class and a dueling club where students are able to brew potions and duel with spells. It's quite an accurate representation actually. I'm really impressed but there isn't the potion smells one has to deal with, the minute and minuscule details of potion making plus the smoke and recoil of spell casting. No sense in giving away our magic secrets to the muggles anyway. We've got to hold some things back.

I have to say though, overall, it is done pretty well. A close representation but I'll always prefer the real Hogwarts over this. -winks-

As always, leave me a comment and let me know what you think, or just say hi!

Farewell,
Lord Severus

2 comments:

  1. Pottermore, a whole new world with new people. It may not be the real Hogwarts but it is a place where i like to be. I felt in love with Harry Potter the first time i read the books but i never found anyone to share it with. Pottermore connected me with people that i can say are more or less like me :)
    I'm a Slytherin on Pottermore and was not nervous at all during the sorting, I knew I'm born to slither and that's where I truly belong. Maybe if i wasn't put in Slytherin I wouldn't have played pottermore 'cause there isn't any point in tricking the hat by lying, in that case it would never be the real me.
    Brewing,dueling having the competition in mind is fun but what's more fun is spending time with my PM family; my wizard Birdie,son Val, daughters Asta and Lilys,sister June,Brother November and you daddy Severus not to forget some very good friends.

    -Hugs and Cuddles-
    Nectar Prewett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Nectar Prewett. It is interesting to discover what other wizards think about this. You are right, it is a place to meet like minded individuals and mainly a place to get to know muggles who are curious about the wizarding world, without knowing that it actually exists.

    I'm glad to know that you've gotten the same house in the muggle version as what you've gotten in the real world. Tells me that there might be some truth to that quiz they used.

    -winks-

    ReplyDelete