Wednesday 10 September 2014

The wolf among us: episode one (game) - My thoughts


Hello again,

Today, I'll be talking about this muggle game called 'The wolf among us'. It is an episodic game which means that content is being released in episodes. I have completed the first episode and I must say that this game is really quite interesting.

The story is about how fables (as they are called in the game) who were characters from fairy tales that muggles have grown up with, survive in the muggle world or as the game calls them, mundies. The main character of the story is a sheriff called Bigby and he is supposedly the big bad wolf of the red ridding hood story. He is supposed to keep the law in the supposedly fable community and I'm guessing his status in the mundy community is that he is a private detective? I'm not sure, I don't think it's addressed in the series.

Anyway, without giving too much away, there seems to be some killer running loose in the fable community and Bigby is tracking him or her down. I have linked my play through of the first episode below and you can check out the decisions that I've made.

My 'The wolf among us' let's play.

I think the game evolves accordingly to the decisions that you make so the game would be different to each individual. Which I am quite interested in. I wonder how my decisions would affect the later episodes. I like the artwork as well. It's different from other games that I've seen (which isn't much) and it has that comic book quality to it.

Comic books are what muggles call books that tells the story in a picture format with minimal dialogue or text.

Of course there are different styles of these comic books but I like that the game chooses to use that style for their characters and their world. I have been enjoying the game so far, with the timed responses and testing the response time that the player has. For example, there are a variety of ways the game asks you for a decision and one of them is your reply to questions or conversations. Another example is that the game presents two different locations and the player would have to choose which location to go to. I feel that these timed responses forces the player to really think while playing the game instead of just going through the motions and wanting to get to the bottom of everything. Adding in events like clicking different letters on the keyboard to avoid objects while chasing down a suspect helps break the monotony of just clicking through the conversation quickly just so you'll get to the end and find out whodunit.

I would recommend this game to those who are looking for something different from the other games out there. Or, if you are patient enough, watch me play through the rest of the episodes. There are five in total so it would probably take me some time to go through it all.

As always, leave me a comment and let me know what you think, or just say hi!

Farewell,
Lord Severus

No comments:

Post a Comment